In a split second, I lost control.

My car hit a concrete wall barrier and then bounced off and hit the other wall on the passenger side.

Everything crumbled, crushed and flashed in front of my face.

I felt like my car had rolled over, but it hadn’t.

The airbags deployed punching me in the face.

My eyes and brain couldn’t comprehend all that happened in a matter of seconds.

I was about to merge onto a bridge just before it happened.

It was a cloudy, wet and just an all around crappy day.

I was on my way to my oncology appointment and talking to Klay on the phone letting him know where I was. He’d just gotten out of class and was going to meet me at my appointment. I was trying to decide whether or not to take Highway 635 from I-20 or take 75. For those of you who don’t live in Texas, they are both crappy options which normally are traffic-filled and wreck-attracting highways.

I decided to go 635 and got on the bridge when my car hit leftover gravel from a winter storm. The roads were slick and my car already needed new tires, so they weren’t exactly in the best shape.

I’m not making excuses for the wreck; I honestly felt like an idiot afterward. Luckily, the kids weren’t with me and I was by myself.

After my car hit the left side of the concrete bridge wall and then ricocheted and hit the right side, it came to a stop. The car was now wedged against the right wall (on the shoulder of the bridge) and the passenger side was pressed right up against the wall.

I came in like a wrecking ball #likemiley

The car hissed and smoked at me. I knew the damage to my car had to be bad, but at the time I just felt how badly I was jerked and pushed around during the commotion.

Klay said I was talking and then he heard me scream when he a lot of banging around and then the phone went dead.

Once I was able to take in what had just happened, I found my phone in the floor board and called Klay back to let him know I was OK.

He was pretty freaked out and was already heading to where I just told him I was. He asked repeatedly if I was OK and I told him I thought I was, but I just cried.

“My nose is bleeding,” I cried.

“Cass, just calm down. I’ll be there soon. Is anyone stopping?”

It took nearly 20 cars to pass before a nice man pulled over to check on me, call the paramedics, and move pieces of my car out of the center of the bridge. He wanted me to stay in the car and told me to try to stay calm.

In the past 10 or 11 years I’ve been driving, I’ve never been in an accident. And that one was terrifying enough, I’ll never want to experience anything like that again.

Thankfully no one was behind me, so it was just my vehicle that was messed up. It was just me. No one wrecked in to me, so no one else to blame I suppose, except for the roads and maybe my tires…

My platelets were low so if I would have been cut in any way, I would have been dangerously injured. The normal is anywhere above 140-150K–I was at 30,000.

After the paramedics got there, my friend’s fiance who lives down the street from me got there, and Klay and my bro-in-law, I was KIND OF looked over by the paramedics.

My hat had been knocked off my head in all of the chaos, and the cop that came up to ask me for my license and insurance info didn’t even ask if I was OK. He just asked me for that info and where I was going. Clearly he could see I was bald, and most likely had cancer, but he didn’t bother to ask if I was alright or anything. Douche monkey.

Klay and I decided to just go to my appointment to still get checked out. The oncology doctor knows everything going on with me medically, obviously, so we thought that was our best option especially with the platelet sitch.

I wasn’t seriously hurt, but I’m pretty bruised up. My bruises look worse than they are, but they are everywhere–my legs, ankle, arms, hips, back, under my eye and I even had a busted lip.

My 2006 Nissan Murano is totaled; she’s a goner.

I’ve had that car for nine great years and it was an amazing car with a lot of memories.

It was my graduation present from my parents and was my first “new, new” car… EVER. I was so stoked. We even took “selfies” before they were cool and without using our phones. #ballastatus

It still opened it’s trunk for me even though I got married in a dress that resembled a white restaurant napkin.

It was the car that I had with me in Alaska. I repped those “TEXAS” plates in AK fro 3 1/2 years without 4WD or studded tires. #boom

It navigated through the crazy streets of Vegas, survived me almost peeing in it on the way to the Hoover Dam and even managed to not get any blood on it when Klay’s nose started to bleed at the Grand Canyon.

We brought both our beautiful baby boys home from the hospital in that car.

Experienced Brody’s second febrile seizure in it (that’s a terrible memory).

RIP Murano.

You were good to me and you will be missed.

Now I’m going to listen to *NSYNC’s “Gone,” Master P’s “I Miss My Homies,” and poor some beer on the driveway and probably cry.


Crash? or Eddie? from


Write A Comment