After the failed induction and a day of rest, Thursday morning came faster than I thought it would. Immediately after I got up, I started throwing up–probably from nerves, but this whole process was a whirlwind; it was just weighing on me so bad.

There was so much uncertainty.

Was he going to be OK?

Was I going to be OK?

Were we going to be able to deliver him vaginally?

Were we going to make it through all this without having a C-section?

How was I going to handle the pain?

How was he going to tolerate labor again?

There were so many unanswered questions that made me worried and fearful. It was overwhelming. I just wanted to get the ball rolling. If we were going to do this, I wanted to go for it and give it our best shot to get him out naturally.

That was my mind frame–let’s get this done.

They wheeled me down about 7 a.m. or so and put another cytotec in my cervix to try to soften it one more time before starting me on pitocin.

I started contracting again, but not as much as I did the first day. They weren’t bad contractions, at least not to me, just like menstrual cramps.

I started the day at a 2 and long, so my cervix hadn’t completely softened yet, but I was much further now than I was two days prior, so that was good.

When my doc got me going on pitocin around noon or so, the contractions picked up and I started to dilate a little more. Things were finally progressing.

My nurse would ask how the contractions were and honestly they weren’t really bothering me. They were uncomfortable and slowly getting stronger, but I kept saying “I just hope I’m a bad ass with a high pain tolerance and that’s why they aren’t bothering me that much.”

By around 7 or so that night, my doc came down and checked my cervix again. This time I was 4 and 75% effaced, so almost fully thinned out. She knew that when I finally thinned all the way out, he would come pretty fast.

She decided to break my water. I was actually surprised with each vaginal check how much I wasn’t bothered by her shoving her hand up there. I remember when she broke my water with Brody, it hurt. This time, I was like “ehh, it’s not bad at all.” I think it’s all in your mind frame.

I knew I was doing this on my own. My anesthesiologists were planning to give me pain meds through an IV to help take some of the edge off when I wanted it.

I hadn’t asked for it this whole time, because I didn’t feel like I needed it. But finally they hooked me up to a PCA so I could push a button when I wanted it. But I never really pushed the button. I kept forgetting. And it wasn’t helping me even when I would.

They were supposed to double my dose as I progressed and then give me some other pain med when my contractions really kicked in, but by the time this baby started coming I didn’t have any of that. It was all natural.

When I started to have to really breathe through my contractions, Klay would be over there pushing that button, trying to get me meds, but I had to sit there and tell him “it’s not helping.” LOL. He’d say, “push the button!” He was worried, but I hadn’t even gotten to the hard part yet.

I had about 30 minutes of pretty bad pain. And of those 30 minutes, 10-15 were extremely painful, but man, those last two contractions were brutal.

Not too long later, my doc came running in when she saw the baby’s heart rate dip. Apparently that’s a sign they are getting ready to come down the birth canal.

She checked me and I was a 6 almost 7 and she started gearing up.

That’s when I really started hurting. I was turned on my side, legs clinched and grabbing onto the bed rails for dear life.

I started to think I couldn’t do this if it was going to take much longer. But I could barely get any thought or words out because the pain was insane. If I could describe it, it felt like a watermelon on fire with razor blades forcing its way down and out of your body.

I started to feel the urge to push and I hollered “I gotta push!!!!” so they’d call the NICU to get them down to the room. He was coming and he was coming fast.

Everyone was telling me to wait and hold him in because NICU needed to be down in the room before Bex came out in case he wasn’t breathing.

And when they tell you you have an urge to push, there is no urge about it. There is no stopping it. But somehow, I managed not to push. I literally think it was because I was on my side. Had I been on my back, legs spread, he would have shot out across the room–there would have been no stopping it.

I had that first contraction before the contraction where Bex made his arrival and I think I scarred Klay for life.

I hollered so loud I probably ignited fear in all of the women waiting to deliver down the hall.

All I kept hearing was “hold him in Cass, hold him in, don’t push don’t push!”

My doc had told me I was going to have another contraction before NICU made it down. About 30 seconds later the second one started.

I was still on my side, hollering “he’s coming!”

“Hold him in, hold him in,” everyone said.

“I caaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn’t!!!” I shouted.

As soon as my doctor flung my leg open, baby boy slid right out. I didn’t push once.

He was crying, which meant he was breathing. NICU hadn’t gotten there yet.

His cry was so soft though it took me a minute to hear.

I was breathing hard, shaking and relieved the pain was over; it stopped instantly.

My doc said “you did it. He’s fine, he’s breathing and crying and you have a baby!”

I was kinda in shock like, “I do?” I couldn’t believe I did it.

I kept saying “I’m sorry” I couldn’t hold him in.

Seconds later a flood of people burst into the room.

Beckham immediately reached out and grabbed my doctor’s clamp when she was about to clamp the cord. She started to laugh. He is already a feisty little thing.

He weighed 3lbs 8 oz, 17 inches long and was born at 30 weeks gestation.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

My doc noticed he had a knot in his umbilical cord. “He failed jump roping class,” she said. But later on after Bex was being looked at by the NICU folks and I was being cleaned up, my doc said that the knot could have been fatal to him had we continued on with the pregnancy. The bigger he would have gotten, the more strain he would have put on his cord and he could have lost his blood flow.

“He was meant to come out,” my doc said to me a few days later.

I truly believe that. He was meant to come out. Things could have been a lot worse, but on that day, everything went as well as it could have. It was a great day.