One of the most exciting things during your pregnancy is finding out if you’re having a boy or a girl. For me, already having a boy, I feel like I’m a boy-mom at heart. I’ve never really been super girly, grew up as a tom-boy and I don’t even know how to paint my toenails and couldn’t braid my hair if I tried.
I mean most girls watched movies like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast–princess movies–but my favorite movie was Beetlejuice.
I know. I suck at being a girl.
But needless to say, when you get pregnant, you have no choice on your baby’s gender. It’s all based on who’s the fastest swimmer.
SO anyway, I had my second sono scheduled at 12 weeks. Since it was so early, but I was almost out of the first trimester, I was unsure whether or not I would be able to find out what we are having.
Everything I read online said at that time during your pregnancy, the boy and girl parts look pretty much the same. It wouldn’t be until week 13 or so that they really start forming enough to be able to tell what it is.
But at the sono, the sonographer said she was 95% sure what we were having. Klay was unable to come to the sonogram because he was working, so I asked her to put the gender in an envelope for us to open together when he got home.
Little did I know that we’d have a surprise waiting for us in that envelope.
I was determined it was going to be a boy.
Klay thought it was a boy too.
And, we both actually wanted another boy. Plus we have everything for a boy.
But when I pulled out a pink card that said it was a girl, my mouth fell to the floor and my reaction was “oh shit.”
I mean I’m an emotional mess about 95% of the time. Could you imagine adding another female like me to this household?
It would be batshit crazy.
Don’t get me wrong; there are plenty of great things about having a girl. We would have one of each and experience both sides of the fence (boy and girl). Girls have the proms and the weddings and all of the fun dress-searching activities. I was a cheerleader (which is the only girly thing I really got into) and softball player growing up, so I’d love to do all of those things with a girl. But I feel like girls are more emotional than boys. I mean we are the ones that get a monthly gift once a month that puts us in a foul and funky mood.
Honestly Klay and I were a tad bit disappointed it wasn’t a boy. But the sonographer did tell us that it’ was so early, she could be wrong so “don’t buy anything yet.”
We told our families and everyone experienced that same reaction–shock–but some were especially excited it was a girl. I had to tell them they’d have to wait to purchase items for the baby until after our 20 week sono confirmed it.
Though I wasn’t 100% sure it was a girl, my mind was certainly adjusting to the idea of having a girl. And when I was pregnant with Brody I had a ton of options for girls names and very little for boys. So I was excited that I felt it would be a lot easier to choose a name for a girl. Klay and I had a girl name picked out for about 7+ years or so and it’s always stuck with us.
The more I thought about it, the more I adjusted to the idea of having a girl.
So here we are; I’m 20 weeks pregnant and had my sonogram yesterday.
The main thing we want is a healthy baby. With my constant nausea, my high blood pressure, anemia, and the low PAPP-A hormone, which could mean my placenta could start to give out and I could have this baby sooner than my due date, I just wanted this baby to be healthy.
And from the report from the specialist doctor I have to see regularly now (and have regular sonos), this baby is on the right path. Healthy looking spine, brain, heart etc. That makes me feel much much better! Check out this video that confirmed it!
Because of that 12 week sono, I wasn’t going to be surprised to hear girl, but Klay and I saw the little boy parts and we were surprised once again!!
Now, back to the drawing board on boy names. This kid will probably be born with no name. Seriously. Boy names are hard! I found out I was having a boy when I was pregnant with Bro at 11 weeks (due to a blood test that’s 99% accurate) and I didn’t finalize his name until 27-28 weeks.
But we are so excited that everything looks to be on the right track for now. The specialist doctor reassured us that there is 85% chance everything will go OK and the placenta will stay strong til the end, and there is a 15% chance that it will start to weaken before I’m full term. That made me feel a lot better. And my doctors are monitoring me closely to make sure that everything goes as it should.
If only I could kick this nausea to the curb…
Because of all my sickness and issues this pregnancy, I have a feeling this boy is going to be TROUBLE! Only time will tell.
Until next time,